Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Raw Stuff







For the past two weeks I've been at the University of Hartford attending the first session of their limited residency Master of Fine Arts in Illustration program. I haven't worked this hard since attending The Basic School at Quantico during the summer of 2006.

The instructors for this program are world class and include the likes of Murray Tinkleman , Dennis Nolan and Alice "Bunny" Carter. These folks have been both encouraging and pushing me to dive deep into my war experiences. They've also gotten me to work from imagination and memory, something I rarely do. Here are a couple pieces based on actual battlefield events I've witnessed. In the interest of privacy I'm not going to reveal the individual's whose pain, suffering and death are depicted.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Great compositions Michael

Bag Blog said...

Very powerful.

christian soldier said...

It's good to get a 'nudge' from those whom we respect - isn't it?!-
those we respect -
both for their talent and for their work ethic to extend that talent-and thus- extend a fellow artist's talent...
Thank you for sharing...
carol-CS